Gyeongsangbuk-do Human Resource Development Institute
Approved International Architectural Competition
- The results of the examination will be posted on the official website after the completion of the examination, and the prize winners will be notified individually.
- The types of prizes and rewards are as follows (for the case where there are 4 winning entries except for the first prize):
Guarantee of the First Prize Winner’s Rights
The winner of the first prize is guaranteed a design contract, and the contract specifies details of the scope of work.
[ General Information ]
- The design contract should comply with the relevant laws and regulations of the Republic of Korea, and be made in accordance with the Act on Contracts to which a Local Government is a Party.
- When changes are required due to the design tasks provided by the Orderer and supplementation requests from the Jury Committee and Orderer, the first prize winner should reflect this and perform preliminary design (including adjustments after selection) and working design.
- The first prize winner is obliged to sign a preliminary and working design service contract with the Orderer for the construction project. Here, the design service contract should be concluded in accordance with the Act on Contracts to which a Local Government is a Party and the Established Rules for Local Government Contracts. However, this does not apply to the case where the services of the construction project cannot be performed due to the circumstances of the Orderer.
- Period of preliminary and working design service: 10 months from the initiation date (including holidays)
[ Terms of the Contracting Party ]
- The contracting party should be a Korean architect or a foreign architect.
- However, in the case of foreign architects, contracts can only be made through joint contracts where Korean architects are main contractors.
- When a foreign architect is selected as a first prize winner, the contract should be concluded in accordance with the provisions of the Certified Architects Act of the Republic of Korea, including the matters related to permits.
① A foreign architect who participated solely should select a Korean architect as the main contractor after selection and sign a joint contract.
② In case of joint participation, if there is a Korean architect among the co-participating team members, a joint contract may be concluded by designating the Korean architect as the contractor.
③ In case of joint participation, if there is no Korean architect among the co-participating team members, the team should select a Korean architect as the main contractor after selection and sign a joint contract.
- Obligations of Foreign architects in Joint Contracts
① In accordance with the provisions of Article 23 (5) of the Certified Architects Act of the Republic of Korea and Article 12-2 of the Enforcement Rules of the same Act, a foreign architect selected as the first winner should submit a copy of the Foreign Licensed Architect Declaration Certificate issued until the conclusion of the contract. For other matters, Chapter 7 (Joint Contract Management Guidelines) of Standards for Local Government’s Bidding and Contract Execution (The Established Rule of the Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs, No. 114, June 10, 2020) and other applicable rules and regulations of the Republic of Korea should be followed.
② When the first winner who is an individual or a corporation qualified as a foreign architect forms a joint contract with a Korean architect in accordance with these guidelines, a work assignment plan specifying the specific tasks of each participant for each work stage (schematic design, drawing development, working design) should be submitted. In addition, the agreement between the co-participating team members (including proportion) with the Representative Appointment Letter when signing the preliminary design and working design service contract with the Host.
- After the winning is announced, the first prize winner should enter into a preliminary design and working design service contract with the Orderer within 30 days of the Host's request for the contract, in compliance with the relevant laws and regulations of the Republic of Korea. However, when the first prize winner is a foreign architect who participated solely, or a co-participating team where non of the members have a Korean architect office, a preliminary design and working design service contracts with the Orderer may be concluded within 60 days from the date of the contract request in compliance with the relevant laws and regulations of the Republic of Korea, considering the time required for the joint agreement with a Korean architect having a domestic architect office. In the event of an unavoidable reason, the contract period may be extended according to the decision of the Orderer.
- The first prize winner may not request more than the design cost announced for bidding. In addition, no additional design cost is allowed to be requested even if the expected construction cost at the completion of the design service exceeds the estimated construction cost announced at the design competition. However, if the expected construction cost at the completion of the design service is less than the estimated construction cost announced at the design competition, the contract should be changed by subtracting the design service cost before the completion of the design service.
- When the Orderer is not able to carry out the project with the original budget since the first prize winner caused an excessive increase in construction cost (design cost) in performing the working design, it is considered as false information in the content of the application for the competition, and the design right granted with the prize may be cancelled and subject to judicial measures (against the obstruction of business, etc.) and administrative disposition.
- When the first prize winner has no qualification for design of facilities, electricity, telecommunication, or fire-fighting, and status surveying, soil investigation, etc. at the time of signing a design service contract, a joint venture can be formed through the consortium with designers in each field under related regulations.
- The design service cost includes building consultation (permit) and overall service costs, deliberation and certification costs, and the costs of design preliminary investigation (soil investigation, surveying), transportation review, pre-disaster impact assessment, and park planning. This also includes the cost of implementation of all matters, including the submission of necessary data or documents required by the Orderer.
- The first prize winner should comply with the given design service period. However, if the project is delayed due to consultations during designing, implementation of related procedures (technical deliberation, building consultation, etc.) and the circumstance of the Orderer, the project period can be extended with the approval of the Orderer.
- When it is determined that the first prize winner is not able to perform the design, or if the design service cannot be performed due to the circumstances of the first prize winner, the Orderer may sequentially grant design rights to the second and third prize winners sequentially. In such a case, if the prize has already been paid out, the deducted amount is paid as a design cost.
- If the winning entry turns out to be a work that mimics all or many parts of the other works already announced, the selection may be cancelled.
- All legal management, responsibilities and obligations associated with this design contract belong to the first prize winner or the representative designer of a joint-design team and cannot be passed on to the members of the joint-design team.